Wednesday, February 28, 2007

More Cause 'n Effect

I saw this ad in a magazine last year . . . this cause and effect approach worked on me (I supported this charity). Not only is the call to action specific, I thought it created immediacy by giving you a form to fill out on the spot. Maybe a little old school in this technology-driven world, but probably a good move for the target audience (I think this ran in Newsweek).

I don't have a visual example of it, but I've seen variations on this ad that show a "before" and "after" photo of the child. Made me wonder if using just the single image has more power, as Stephanie said in class. What do you think?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I think in a case like this, it's definitely more powerful to show only one image. It plants the idea that this suffering person has no options (unless you take action). When there's an "after" photo, it takes the urgency away - someone is helping people like this, obviously, or there would be no "after." And logistically speaking, if you have two images in the same space they'll both have to be smaller. Would you really waster space on the happy ending when what you really want is to show the current supposed reality?

Stephen said...

Great point, Emily (and well articulated). I agree; I definitely think the use of one image was more effective for me as a viewer.